Friday, October 30, 2009

Ratatouille...

I'm in NEW ZEALAND!!!! And my first glimpse of the Southern Alps was truly breathtaking...other people on the plane must have thought I was psycho to take so many pictures through a plane window, but the snow-capped mountains were truly gorgeous!

BUT, first things first. I must recount what happened today while I was home alone with the pets (and inadvertently locked in the house). I'd spent a quiet morning with Yoda, the cat, and Belize, the dog - unpacking, organizing my room, doing a little yoga. The cat had begun to act a little funny, slyly crawling around the kitchen counter and by the stove hood. I didn't think much of it, but did wonder what he was up to. I had just begun to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich when Yoda spastically sprung a paw up to the hood and brought it down with a rat in tow! The cat had just literally snatched the rat from somewhere inside the corner of the hood. Yoda jumped down to the floor with the little rat in it's mouth, squeaking all the way. I stood there dumbfounded. I had not a clue what to do! I was afraid to look over the counter to see whether or not the rat would set himself free. I just kept hearing muffled squeaking and the cat adjusting the grip. I thought to get the cat outside, but then remembered that the door was locked and I had no key. So here I am, stuck in the house with a cat...eating...a rat. I was pleased
when the squeaking finally stopped, grateful that cat didn't want to play with his dinner long. At this point, I continued making my sandwich so as to keep from watching the murderous event take place, even though I had lost all appetite. I tried to get the cat out the kitty door, but he wasn't too keen on moving with his meal and I didn't want to push the subject as he kept growling with the dead rat hanging from his mouth. He did take it to the corner of the kitchen where the crunching commenced. Little did I know that after the squeaking came the crunching...of rat bones! I had to turn the TV on to drown out the sound...and utilize techniques learned in my nursing profession to keep from hurling the food I had yet to eat. I cleaned the blood up from the floor where the rat lost his life and proceeded to the living room to try my hand at eating my pb and j. When Yoda was all done, I peeked in the corner to check out the remains. Guts, a foot, and a tail. That's what he left behind. I'll be honest, I didn't touch any of it. I just couldn't bring myself to clean that up - plus I needed some proof so my house-family would believe me when they got home!!

Speaking of house family, I must tell you that they are just the kindest people. Michael and Karen and their kids, Theo and Holly have welcomed me into their home without even knowing me. I've been given a cozy room and been shown the ropes of the house. It's been a joy getting to know them and my time here has only just begun! Theo said I could stay when he found out I had red chucks just like his. And Holly let me beautify my toenails the first night I was here (after 6 weeks of walking, they desperately needed it). Wonderful people!

I feel much better leaving you on that note.

I'm attaching a few pictures of my time in Syd to this post as I didn't have them on my computer for the last post. You'll see why I've fallen for the jacarandas...



4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Erin! You are a braver woman than I am, I think I would have found a window to climb out of. Love keeping up with you through your blog.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,
    The photos are beautifu, you too. As far as the cat, she was doing her job, earning her keep you could say. And is the PB the natural stuff from Trader Joe's? Keep having fun. Today is Halloween, do they celebrate such a holiday there?
    Alway,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post - ratatouille pictures ..Keep Posting


    Ron
    ratatouille pictures

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Anna!

    Chris - the PB and J was just the regular stuff...haven't located the natural foodstore yet! As for celebrating Halloween...not really, but some kids do. The kids I'm staying with dressed up!

    ReplyDelete