Friday, October 23, 2009

Random Act of Kindness

This'll be a quickie, but wanted to share with you a story that happened today...

Somewhere between Cebu and Brisbane, my camera charger went on holiday - without me and without telling me where. My camera died just before heading to Sydney, so I knew soon after arrival I would need to try to locate a charger (and I was quite fearful of how much this endeavor would cost me, but I needed a camera...) So I headed out this morning to conquer Sydney, or a bit of it anyway. I was sent to a store by my friend here. A couple amazing things happened! One, I had no trouble at all finding the store. Secondly, the man who asked to help me walked straight up to a charger and then asked for my battery to make sure it worked (more service than the one place we tried in Brisbane for sure!). It worked! But thirrrdly, he gave me a discount. Just for the heck of it. A $90 AUD ended up being $58 AUD. He said he thought it was on sale, but I'm virtually certain it wasn't. He walked me to the cashier and told her the new price. As she checked me out, she mentioned that that was a really great price, and she said "he can do that, he's the owner." Crazy! I'm not sure why he felt the urge to help me out, but I felt really blessed. First off I had a charger for my camera...and secondly it didn't cost as much as feared! It definitely put a bit of a bounce in my step.

After getting the camera sorted out, I headed into the city to take in a few sites. The Sydney Harbour Bridge, the famous opera house. Next I took a ferry to Manly Beach - a great little spot with a couple beaches, some old cool homes, etc. I walked around for a bit, then laid on the rocks on the beach to cool off. Loved every minute of it. Ended up catching a bit more sun that anticipated but am grateful for the beautiful day.

I just finished making peanut butter cookies - first baking since I left the States! It felt quite good to bake again. So come on over! :)

1 comment:

  1. Erin,
    Cookies, yummy, I will look for some whenever you return to the States. The miracles you received today are just rewards for your hard work and your random acts of kindness to the children and new friends you have made. The memories will be "Priceless." Keep having fun. Take care.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete