Monday, October 26, 2009

Has The Weeping Willow Met It's Match?

It's called the Jacaranda and is peppered all over the landscape on the East coast (well, ok, Brisbane and Sydney anyway) It is incredible. It's purple flowers are in full bloom now. Just about everywhere you turn, whether in the city or in the mountains, you can see these lavender beauties. They're from South America...and I'm hoping they're found in NZ too. (Pics to come soon.)

The past few days have been spent exploring Sydney...it's beaches, architecture, gardens. I spent a morning walking through the Botanic Gardens, then walked along the coast from Bondi Beach to Bronte Beach. Both were beautiful. Note, however, that walking barefoot on the rocky/sandy/sometimes paved coast walk will do a number on the bottom of one's feet! They recovered before a dinner with my lovely hosts here in Syd at a Thai restaurant and drinks at Clock in Surry Hills. I had a late breakfast in Darling Harbour yesterday in the midst of massive downpours. It was absolutely lovely - a covered deck seating allowed me to be in the midst of it without getting a bit wet. In between downpours I strolled through the Chinese Gardens - they were free for the day! - and then decided to dry my feet while watching a movie (Couples Retreat...ha, I know, a funny choice to watch by yourself...it was entertaining and prompted more than a few laughs). I managed to catch the late service of Hillsong Sydney and called it a day! Today was another rainy day, so after grabbing some chicken noodle soup at a little bakery (yes, I grabbed dessert too...chocolate hazelnut cake, if you must know) I meandered through the Rocks area of downtown, noting some quaint pubs and shops. Thus ends my journey through Sydney. One final note on the city...sitting on the bottom level of the train is glorious - I can see everyone's shoes as the train pulls out!

Some thoughts (pros and cons, to be interpreted as you wish) regarding solo traveling...

+I can go wherever I want to go - if I want to see something again or linger for awhile or take 27 pictures of the same thing, no one is there to argue.
-Putting sunscreen on my back is virtually impossible - I haven't asked a stranger for help...yet.
+/-Without a set plan I can happen upon some amazing things, but on the flip side, there are times I feel like I'm just barely missing something huge.
+There is lots of time for one of my favorite sports: people-watching.
+I can linger in a bookshop until my eyes hurt.
-Sometimes I just desire a conversation with someone who knows me, and I don't want to engage with my own thoughts.
-Being plagued by indecision is easier to kick when you're with someone - it's the little things, for instance, deciding where to eat or where to sit or where to pee, they can be easier with a buddy.
-Getting dessert with a friend is great because you can get two different things and share...when it's me, I can only try one thing on a menu of enticing delectables, much to my chagrin.
-Sometimes I just want to be silly, and although I could be silly by myself, I think it would draw unwanted attention. :)
++No one is here to judge the health value of my meals...meaning dessert can be (and often is) the entire meal.
+No one will think I'm strange for analyzing a sweet treat (ie. taking pictures/notes) for future recreating reference.
+I have affirmed that I love taking pictures - so I must buy a "real" camera (you know, the ones with a lens bigger than the actual camera) and then travel around the world again, taking real and official pictures...ha!

Back to Brisbane tonight to enjoy one more day with the Aussies!

1 comment:

  1. Erin,
    The delight of eating dessert first or as you say, as the whole meal.
    I love reading your entries.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete