Thursday, October 1, 2009

Maayong Udto!

That means "Good day!" in Cebuano. One of the many things I am learning here in Cebu. I arrived safely on Wednesday morning, local time. The plane rides weren't bad - Qantas Airlines is the way to go! They were the friendliest of staff (not to mention the great Aussie accent) and it was the nicest plane I've been on. Slept for about 5-6 hours, off and on. Drank tons of water to help kick a cold I felt settling in my chest mere hours before leaving London (seems to have disappeared now...praise God!). Saw the most amazing views from atop the clouds - there's something about that vantage point I love. When I checked in, the lady asked if I wanted a window seat - I could've kissed her! (Would have if there wasn't such a swine flu scare...) It does make for better sleeping arrangements. Speaking of the flu...almost everyone in the Hong Kong airport was wearing masks and everything was in Chinese - first time for me that English wasn't the language of choice. Just a few things to kick off two weeks of entirely new territory, but that was only the beginning...

I was greeted by a familiar face, my first-cousin-once-removed (heh- from here on out to be known as cousin), Paul, at the airport here in Cebu, which I was entirely grateful for after the long journey and realm of the unknown. I was quickly introduced to the rules of the road...there are none. Apparently anything goes and no one will stop you. When there are cars, jeeps, taxis, children, scooters, and animals on the road, what else would you expect? Paul first took me to the shelter to meet staff and children...what a treat! It's a beautiful place - the buildings, the staff and workers, the children. I am now settled in Paul and Marlys' home. I have met so many people and feel so welcomed.

I am beginning to understand a bit more of my discontentedness in Charlotte. There was something nagging at me. Something giving me a sense I was too comfortable in my life. After my time in London, I thought a city teeming with busy people was something to wrap my brain around...boy was I in for a surprise. What a change this is. A city still teeming. But oh so vastly different. Sketchy dirt roads, poverty just about everywhere you look, armed guards at banks and restaurants. There are positive things too...amazing fruit, beautiful mountains, and most importantly children at the shelter who are eager to engage. I'm not sure I can find adequate words for what I've already experienced in just a day and a half. My heart is already breaking and mending and breaking again and growing 3 sizes too large (if I was in Whoville). With children who come in abandoned, malnourished, suffering from diseases and all kinds of abuse, who's heart wouldn't break? But it is quickly mended when I play a game with a child or share in laughter with them or be read to by a young girl or sing Taylor Swift with a group of girls. This breaking and mending. How does one process? Only God knows what affect will it have. All I know is my heart is in for a wild ride.

Stay tuned for pics and more stories. In the meantime, check out the website for the shelter (www.cscshelter.org) and Oprah on Friday - a segment at the beginning involves a reunion from the shelter!!!

2 comments:

  1. Our song is the slammin' screen doors, sneakin' out late tappin' on your window, when we're on the phone and your talk reeaaall slow cause it's late your mamma don't know...

    Sorry, all I picked up on was the Taylor Swift part and I went with it.

    Much Love
    Kent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blogs. My mom was right, you're a good writer. And a perfect guest.

    Paul Healy

    ReplyDelete