Monday, September 28, 2009

Adios to The Big Smoke

Tomorrow I board a plane - another trip through time zones begins. I am in disbelief that my time in London has already come to a close...just about the time I begin to feel comfortable finding my way around! I've seen so much here - the kindness of friends and strangers (who have quickly become friends), a city full (and I mean FULL) of a diverse people, a sense of history that the US has yet to achieve. It has certainly been a time of gaining perspective. Seeing a world outside my world. Understanding that God loves those I see and know in Charlotte is quite different than trying to understanding God's love for e.v.e.r.y.o.n.e. He cries out to know each and every person I pass on the street. Thousands a day, in a city that truly never sleeps. That's perspective.

The past few days have been lovely. I traveled to Nottingham to hang with Robin Hood and his merry men - in my case this was Warren and his friends, Katie, Jen, Matt, Keith, and Mark. It was nice to get out of the busyness of London for a couple days. I got to see the University of Nottingham campus, the Nottingham castle and art gallery, and go in the oldest inn in England - Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem (since 1189 AD). It's a quaint three story pub. Quite a bit of history in that place. I also had some delicious
fish and chips (my first since arriving in England), and enjoyed shooting the breeze with Warren and his chums. His request was to make him into a villain in the blog, and I realize I've just compared him to Robin Hood. He was a villain of sorts, right? That'll have to do!

Upon my return to London, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to people-watch in the park. It was a glorious day and the park was teeming with people of all walks of life. After getting my fill of people, I made my way out to my friend Drew's to fill my belly. He and his roommate and friends prepared a mouthwatering meal of steak and chicken on the barbie. With veggies, bread, some sort of amazing grilled cheese, a bit of wine, and two desserts, not a one of us left hungry. It was delightful to fellowship with such fun guys.

Yesterday I attended church in a theatre house in central London. (The famous) Hillsong Church takes place there. I cannot express how great it was to worship with such a diverse people that are so on fire for the Lord. Then last night at Ben and Hanelle's church - St. Mary's - I heard an incredible speaker. Both were an inspiration, and I'm grateful for the experience as I head out to the Philippines...tomorrow! I'm off to finish packing and enjoy one last night with Ben, Hanelle, and Drew!

2 comments:

  1. Erin,
    You did not mention who would be playing the part of Maid Marion? What fun you are having.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,
    Amazing to enjoy each other for the wonderful qualities we possess!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete