Wednesday, September 16, 2009

One Word

Grateful. As I walked around London on this blustery beautiful day, I found myself absolutely grateful to be where I am. Saying goodbye to friends back in the States and meeting travelers early on in my trip revealed that several people had a desire to do a similar journey, or a regret that they hadn't ever taken the opportunity. So as I sat in a park, had lunch with some friends, and lollygagged around I felt overwhelmed with gratitude. I'm not sure yet really why or how this trip is happening, but I couldn't help but smile to myself several times today.

I began the day with a stroll through Regent's Park - reading a bit only to be interrupted by an eager spaniel named Jim with a slobbery yellow ball. Taking Jim up on his offer to play fetch, I was introduced to his owner who engaged me in conversation for a bit. I then met a few friends
for a late lunch at Bonnington Cafe - which came about by homeless "squatters" occupying the abandoned space long enough to lawfully call
it their own; it now serves eclectic home-cooked meals by a group of member cooks. Had quite a delicious fudgy chocolate cake with cream cheese whipped cream. To walk off the meal, I strolled down the Southbank, viewing Parliament, Big Ben,
and random street shows, then rested a bit inside the National Theater where a free concert was being played - European gipsy music. The 3-man band ended with "If I Were A
Rich Man" - loved every minute! Then before the LONG walk
back to the flat, I became the ultimate tourist and photographed practically the entire riverfront that was lit up in the night sky.

But as I walked (and boy did I WALK...why take the Tube when the crisp breeze felt so good?!), I also found myself pondering what defines me. It is easy to be defined
by your social circle, your job, your past, your neighborhood, your priorities. I think being too defined by these factors can be claustrophobic. I discovered today that London is a city full of people each with their own agendas, fashion styles, and busy lives. No one pays much mind to anyone else. The people here are hard to define. It makes me wonder, will I be redefined as the trip progresses or will I discover myself becoming more undefined?

3 comments:

  1. Excellent point at the end. It's hard to describe yourself as something other than a label that you're used to back home. Keep taking advantage my dear!

    One word: Jealous

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome Erin! I'm so jealous of your adventure. You will definitely be redfined if you're open to it. I had a similar revelation over the past several months living in New York. I definitely feel changed i just wish I could have went to Europe to find myself instead of Queens. ;)

    http://thoroughlytippy.blogspot.com/2009/07/deep-thoughts-by-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're in one of the greatest cities on earth and walking every single step you possible can! Did you say hi to the Abbey for me? It's a breathtaking place. Keep that open mind. Traveling will do that to you. You will quickly learn how much you believe in yourself and how many things you are capable of doing that you never thought before. It's a refreshing feeling!

    ReplyDelete