Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Weeping Willows


They are all over the parks in London! I absolutely love them. Besides the fact that they ooze nostalgia for me, they also have an intrinsic peacefulness about them. They take me back to a time when I hadn't a care in the world and climbing trees was an everyday sport. London is generally not a clean city (you should see what comes out of my nose every night...gross, I know...I had to share), but the parks provide a bit of reprieve from the hustle and bustle and the grime. I try not to be the typical tourist (you know the type, fanny pack and camera around the neck), but when I get to a park I can't help myself. The beauty begs to be captured on film. I'm making it a priority to hit up Regent's Park again before I leave. One more stroll through the rose gardens...

In addition to meandering through parks, I've also found great joy in wandering through
museums. I spent hours in the Victoria and Albert museum the other day. Listening to my ipod and taking my time on the different floors was almost like therapy. The fashion exhibit and paintings and jewelry and sculptures and...it went on and on! A feast for the eyes.

Speaking of feasting the eyes. That's about all my eyes have done since arriving. Just today I walked across the London Bridge (don't worry - it wasn't falling down), saw the Tower of London and the famous Globe Theatre, walked across the Millennium Bridge, toured Westminster Abby (Tay! I saw Mike - he even let me in FREE!), and last but certainly not least, I feasted on The Lion King. What a show! It was superbly entertaining. I laughed, cried, and was utterly amazed at the creativity and talent involved in such an extravaganza. I was also baffled at how I've previously failed to see the spiritual implications in the storyline. Maybe it's because I had just come from an evensong service at the Westminster and spirituality was on my brain, but it was obvious to me tonight. It's left me with some ideas to ponder and a mind filled with brilliant colors, dancing, and singing.

As I walked the streets today, I had a longing for community. I miss the community I left behind - people that know me, and know me well. But then I was reminded of the leg cramps I used to get as a little kid, growing pains striking in the middle of the night. I think we experience this as adults, although the form is quite different now - internal as opposed to external - but still growing pains. I decided change doesn't come without some discomfort. My thoughts were even echoed tonight in Rafiki's words of wisdom to Simba as he learned to deal with change.

6 comments:

  1. Erin, you are a motivation to me, as I'm sure you are to most everyone who knows you. How blessed you are to have the courage to embark on such a life-changing adventure! I've enjoyed reading about your travels so far, and can't wait to see what the upcoming months have in store for you.
    And I've decided since moving to Charleston that there's no shame in being a tourist .. well, maybe except for the fanny pack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madam,

    I feel I am blessed even at once I came across you post!

    Let you be determined as ever as now!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin,
    It's a rainy Tennessee morning, and I just said a prayer for you. I am glad to know you arrived well and are enjoying your time abroad. I wish I were giving it a go with you, but something tells me that you will enjoy it even more on your own... what an accomplishment! Two statements though: I am disappointed in your aversion to medication, and please oh please oh please don't wear a fanny pack :) You look incredible in your newsie hat... its a keeper!!
    Love you,
    Linds

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin,
    "Delight," to see the beauty in God's creations; people, art, a willow tree, and yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin, thank-you so much for your blog. You write so well and I love seeing London through your eyes. Keep writing!!! Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. That park sounds amazing! I grew up with a willow tree in my backyard, I lived in that tree for a majority of my childhood. I love the way your blog starts with childhood memories and then ends with childhood lessons. Great writing Erin!

    ReplyDelete