Tuesday, January 31, 2017

God Is Not a Librarian

I suppose I better write about the first lesson associated with sow before I get too behind. We're already on to the second lesson, but it might be awhile before I can put words to that one.

As I've mentioned, sow is my word of the year.

Well, more like a version of sow.

sow
sow(n)
sow(er)

Sow means to plant (seed) by scattering it in or on the earth. I like that. I like doing things with my hands, baking, crocheting, creating. Sowing.

I like to not just sow something for the heck of it. I like results. You take flour, sugar, butter, salt, and a little almond extract and you can make the most delicious shortbread cookies. Warm and flaky and buttery.

Mmm-mm. 

But you don't just throw the ingredients into a bowl...you sow them.

I am a sower.

But I am also sown.

See the God of the universe, the One who created me in His image, He loves me so much that He won't leave me the same. He sows things into me to make me who He created me to be. The me before sin, the me after redemption.

He sows things like love. joy. peace.

And grace.

He is teaching me that grace can be sown.

The other day I was having a conversation with a friend about how sometimes we feel we need to have things a little (ok, a LOT) more put together. Especially when it comes to devotion time with the Lord.

We've both been through some major life changes the past year (marriage and babies...me the marriage, her the baby), so, naturally, life will look a little different.

We need adjustment time.

I encouraged her to give herself some grace as she adjusted.

Later that night, I was thanking God for the grace period following major life change.

And I realized something about grace.

It's not a grace period.

It's grace. Period.

God is not a librarian giving you a grace period. (But thank you to librarians everywhere for that wonderful 5 day grace period. Does that actually still exist?)

The God of your soul is giving you grace. Heaps of it. Every day. Forever.

No grace period needed.

I don't know about you, but that makes me take a deep deep breath...in...and...out.

He isn't going to start fining you for needing Him 6 months into your marriage when you are still finding your rhythm.

He isn't going to charge you for not sitting with him for uninterrupted lengthy periods of time every day right after having a baby (or when you don't have a baby, for that matter).

He isn't going to add to your tab when you open Candy Crush for the 18th time in a day instead of YouVersion.

He will give you grace. Period.

Grace to learn how to grow relationships as home and family shift.

Grace to learn how to incorporate time with Him into every day tasks.

Grace to learn how to tune into His voice as the voice of a crying, babbling, cooing little one suddenly enters your world.

Grace to learn how to embrace humility and retrain old habits.

What area of your life do you need to recognize as covered in grace?

Where are you sitting in guilt or shame and instead could be walking in freedom?

Where are you feeling less-than or overwhelmed and need to just surrender to the One who holds all things together so we can let all things go?

2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.


No comments:

Post a Comment