Monday, February 21, 2011

Disobedience Hurts

We all know the scenario...alarm goes off at some ungodly hour of the morning, in a groggy state you reach over and hit snooze...again...and again...and again...until finally you rouse to some level of consciousness that reminds you there was a reason your alarm went off when it did. You finally stumble out of bed and wearily begin the day.

That was my morning. And boy was I mad. Not at my alarm. Not at my bed for being so darn comfortable I never want to leave it. I was mad at myself. Plain and simple. I had my morning all divided up: 30 minutes with God, 30 minutes to shower and get ready, 30 minutes to eat and get out the door. I don't like to rush in the morning, so the 30 minutes schedule works quite well. Unless you get up 30 minutes late. I had to skimp on something. I couldn't bring myself to completely cut out any of the three activities (let's face it, it would take some serious security to step out of the house and work a full day with no makeup). So if nothing was removed from the schedule, how would I get ready on time? I ended up shortening all three. It was the best solution I could come up with in my sleepy state, but it made me sad. I did get everything done, but I had to rush. And I skimped on my time with God. That was the most saddening. It doesn't matter what I might say to Him, my actions speak clear as I reach over and hit snooze for the third time. And I think really? I would really choose an extra 5 minutes of sleep over spending that time resting in the presence of my God? One who satisfies all desires, who has plans to prosper me, the One who created the mountains and yet formed every detail of my being. This morning I chose sleep over all that. And I was so sad. I couldn't shake it for some time. I know He is also a God of mercy and grace, a God who redeems me every day, but I let Him down - I let myself down. And like a child who disobeys his parents, I was hurt by the disobedience. No, God didn't ground me. He didn't send any lightening bolts either. But I missed out on time with Him. I was the one who suffered for my own actions. Disobedience pulls me away from Him, the opposite direction of where I want to go. So I was left to spend the rest of the day changing my trajectory. Although my initial actions, before I even rolled out of bed, didn't put Him first, I had the opportunity to set it right. At some point I had to stop being mad at myself and move on.

You can bet I'll be faced with the same dilemma tomorrow. Satan (and pretty much everyone else) knows I'm not a morning person. He's very aware that the less time I spend with my Father, the more likely I am to listen to his lies. So it's not just about that extra 30 minutes of sleep. That decision sets the spiritual tone for the day. It's a small action that can win or lose the first battle I'm faced with each morning. This morning I lost. But I've got a battle plan for tomorrow. And I've got God and the angel army on my side. I will win.

5 comments:

  1. The love for God that you stand up for is incredible Coop! So often I find myself in the same predicament of sacrificing my relationship with God for {insert any of ten billion things here} and living life out of regret rather than out of abundant life that He gives...I've made my share of lifestyle choices that bog me down, but I know God never changes His love no matter what! I'm pressing through life knowing that the lies I hear daily are not mine to carry. You said it...the God of the angel armies is on your side (and mine)...you win! (in all BUT Five Crowns!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are we related?? Cause seriously, I could have written this blog!! (Except my morning routine takes longer than yours lol.) I feel ya. Hope you won over the snooze button this morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude. I don't wear makeup to work (and I should) and I STILL skimp on my morning time with the Lord. I feel you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel this in so many ways, whether it be the choosing of the snooze button in the morning, the remote control for the tv at night, facebook at any point in the day, etc... the more and more my heart desires Him and the more intimate my relationship with Him becomes, the more I can't stand the choices I make that clearly speak of the value I am placing on Him in relation to those other things. I feel exactly what Paul feels in Romans 7:15-20. But then later in Romans 8:31 we are reminded... If God is for us, who can be against us! So yes we will win with God on our side! Thankful for you transparency that encourages growth in me and I'm certain others too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you mean. I am not a morning person either, but I can tell when my day starts with God versus when it doesn't (because I've hit snooze too many times). Great word! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete