Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Pull and Tear.

There is a certain pull on my soul as one leading a life following Christ. The world and all its expectations try to tell me one thing. Beliefs and faith tell me another. It's easy to feel the pull to become one among the crowd, to be "normal" along with everyone else. We have TV ads, magazine articles, educations even telling us who and what to be. Pursue this career, move to this area, read this book, watch this movie. The world even goes so far as to tell us when we should be married and starting a family. But then there's Jesus. He also tells us what to be. He doesn't say anything about being one among the crowd or being normal. His life, in fact, was quite radical. He shattered expectations on so many levels. And I believe we are called to do the same.

But there's still that annoying pull. That innate desire to go with the flow of life, of the world's expectations. Sure I desire to be settling down, getting married, starting a family. It feels OK to follow this for awhile, but at the core I know something is wrong. My focus begins to shift off the One who leads me and starts to settle instead on instability. I wander off the solid ground of Truth, and my footing becomes shaky. But all the while I'm praying for God's will to be done in my life. Praying that He would become greater and I would become less (John 3:30). Praying for Him to have His way with me. Society and cultural norms call loud and clear (even when we don't want them to). Yet God's still small voice is ever-present under the din of worldly temptations, if I would only listen. I sense the pull getting stronger toward the true, narrow path. God's Spirit is moving in me, pulling me back to Him. And then it happens. The pull gives way to a tear.

I've lived in that pull the past few months. Desiring some sort of safe, comfortable, normal life. One where I might meet someone and "settle down" - whatever the heck that means. Basically desiring a life that I can fit into a box. Here's where the problem starts: God doesn't work in boxes. He is so outside of the box its ridiculous! But in my prayer for Him to have His way with me, what did I expect? Did I expect comfortable or radical? Safe of crazy? To be honest, it was the comfortable and safe. I tried to see how God would work all the while limiting Him to the safe box. Longing for a way out of what seems to be this holding pattern stage of life, I looked to how He might be shaping the future. But then there's Crazy Love. His crazy love! What does He want for my life? Marriage and family? I don't know. I just know I've felt the pull to get a routine, a sense of a comfortable life. And God can be in that. But I'm sensing that's not for me right now. He's asking for more. Something more radical. And so I tore.

It happened this past weekend as I volunteered at the Passion 2011 conference here in Atlanta. There's just something incredibly moving about worshiping with 22,000+ university students, serving for an amazing ministry. It will take awhile to unpack the great messages I heard, the enlightening conversations I had, the passion that was rekindled. I was reminded that this life is all about Him. It's really not about what I want. It's about me bringing Him glory. That's it. That's why I'm here. So what happens in the wake of the tear? Well, I don't know exactly. I can say so far that God is entering in and beginning to change my outlook and my mentality on a few things. It's strange, there's seemingly less certainty in this spot, but oh the peace! The joy of knowing He's at the center of it all. The exact "tear moment" that happened this past weekend is something I'll elaborate more on in the very near future. All I'll say for now is it involves a more radical outlook on my current purpose, more fully embracing this Crazy Love and beginning to pursue expectations outside the box. And it might just involve me taking a short trip outside the country...

4 comments:

  1. Dang Erin, you've summarized my past decade of life here...I absolutely love your transparency and honesty, openness and vulnerability in this. You aren't alone, I promise, and I'm excited to hear more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, I LOVE this. I kind of want to plagiarize parts of it, haha, because it speaks to a lot of what I've experienced, too. Thanks for being so open! I can't wait to hear what God does and where He leads you, and I rejoice with you as you experience that crazy peace that comes with giving yourself over to His will, no matter how "uncomfortable" it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you erin for post this article
    Thanks for being so open and I'm excited to hear more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know where to begin... Except to say that after reading this post from coming back from this retreat weekend and having the deep conversations we've had... my cup is overflowing. I'm soooo glad I waited to read this! Gosh so aligned with this weekend!... And you know me I still have more to say from the car ride... but here a few things about the blog... 1-I am beyond thankful for the woman God has created you to be and for the desires he's placing in you to become. 2-I can't believe God has placed you in my life and that he has aligned our hearts with some of the same burning desires right now! 3-My heart was so full of joy when you said you'd volunteer at Passion with me but the night in the hallway when you told me about God giving you the direction to go to the nation that first stole my heart... that moment was so precious to me. :)

    ReplyDelete