Saturday, September 18, 2010

The War

The past week and a half hasn't exactly been the brightest and cheeriest of times. What happened, you ask? No specific event or circumstance. It's just that something seemed "off." I wasn't myself. Each waking second seemed to present a new set of challenges. And not big ones, ones that days earlier would have been no problem. But in that time, it took everything I had to do things right. And the thoughts in my head were pretty stinkin' horrible. I felt a warring between my "new creation" and my old fleshly self. Like serious warring. I didn't like me one bit.

Sleep seemed to be the only escape. So I slept a lot. For some reason, however, I'd wake up and nothing was different. As much as I wanted it to be, I just couldn't make it different. And everything was affected. Interactions with family. Conversations with coworkers. My relationship with God. And that was the worst. I'd pray, but I just didn't feel anything. I'd look at the Scripture hanging on my bathroom wall (telling me I'm redeemed, that the God of the Universe knows me by name...some big stuff!) but couldn't bring myself to read it. I didn't feel it. I was ashamed at my own selfishness, at my own lack of interest.

But I learned something this week. I learned that when you don't feel it, you DO IT ANYWAY. You read Scripture anyway. You pray anyway. You worship anyway. Through the course of these days, I found myself worshipping at church in two different services. If you've read just about any of my posts, you'd know music speaks to my soul. So you'd know then how difficult it was for me to be in the worship setting, feeling nothing. But I found myself singing anyway. Did it feel dishonest? No. Because I believed it. My mind knew the Truth. But my heart just didn't feel it. This is not to suggest that we shouldn't be honest in our worship, but sometimes speaking those words reminds us that we believe it. And this past Wednesday, in the midst of serving the middle schoolers in youth group at church, my heart was called back, awakened, reminded of how to feel for our God. My head knew all week what to THINK, but I just couldn't get past that...until I found myself amidst a sea of middle schoolers singing these words:

Change my heart and make it Yours, everything I am for Your Kingdom's cause

Talk about a humble statement. It took a whopping declaration of humility to burst my balloon of selfishness that had been throwing a pity party for days. This life is simply not about me! Yet there is a great God who loves me anyway. That is weighty stuff when you're in the midst of selfish self-loathing. I KNEW the love, but I just didn't feel like reciprocating it. And yet God loves me. Seriously? That is incredible! His love eventually broke through and awakened my heart again. In worship. In giving back. In serving.

I awoke on Thursday morning with a cloud lifted. I felt like a completely different person. Same circumstances, same routine, but an entirely different outlook. I took that experience with me yesterday to a leadership retreat (for the middle and high school youth group volunteer leaders). All the youth pastors, including Brett Moore, pastor of middle & high school at 12Stone's Flowery Branch and Hamilton Mill campuses, spoke some great words. But one sentence he said broke through on a very personal level: "It feels like we are warring with someone (pause for dramatic effect) because we are." We are warring with "...the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms" (Phil. 6:12). Satan is out to cause fear and failure. He doesn't want us to succeed! And when we are on the verge of great things, he has to try harder. But God's love is stronger and unceasing. His peace eventually began rushing into my soul again. It pulled me out of my funk. It showed me two things: there is a very valid war being fought in our midst every day, and that when you just don't feel...you do it anyway. I have a sneaking suspicion this lesson may come in handy down the road with a marital relationship...or maybe married couples feel like loving all the time (aaah, if only!).

4 comments:

  1. Prayer and worship, both things that the devil hates because of the power within them. The spiritual battle that takes place in our lives are far too real to ignore, and I couldn't agree more that out of faith we need to push through the "I don't want to blah's" and simply do it anyway...there are battles won in the spirit that we may never see or understand, but by faith we need to fight in them!

    Love your post as always, and you're one of the most selfless, encouraging people I know...and you're royalty...always remember that you're royalty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm just now jumping on to read your blog even though I've been wanting to since last Sunday. I know we talked a lot about this but as I read your post I am again amazed at how God works. I find it incredible that some of the very things you were struggling with, our study that week hit on even though you didn't know it when you wrote this. That the point of our life is to point to Him even when we don't feel like it. When we are consumed with worry or stress or anything that is pulling us away. Its all about Him, not us. And there are times when we are going to struggle and fall but I'm realizing more and more that its more like little challenges from Him that when we continue to trust Him through them, we actually gain. I really do think God gave us a difficult week so that we could be sweetly broken by it all and find so much truth in what he had to say through Francis Chan that week.

    Erin, so glad God has given me the opportunity to get to know you recently. Your openness and honesty is so very encouraging and I'm so looking forward to getting to pursue God alongside you this semester in small group! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some fantastic insights!!! I think it's very counter-culture to "do" when you don't "feel." People want authenticity but there are times when we as Christians have to act in spite of our feelings. I could probably say lots more about this but there's no need -- you've said it perfectly well already. =) Love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete