Monday, July 19, 2010

The DTR.

It's dreaded in most relationships. Things are going smoothly...and then, bam!...the DTR hits (that's "define the relationship" for those of you long-married folk). But when it's a DTR with your employer, it is highly anticipated! Since my start at the bakery, I've been awaiting a DTR conversation with the owner. Last week it happened.

I'll spare you the play-by-play (but oh was it exciting), and tell you the gist. They like me. I like them. They want me to stay and learn more. I want stay and learn more. They want to give me more responsibilities (such as decorating basic cakes - not custom cake orders/wedding cakes yet). I want to get more responsibility. They want to pay me more. I want to earn more. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal, ay?

I think so. I was so pumped after our talk. The owner communicated how significant it is in a mom and pop business to have employees that are trustworthy, in more ways than just with money. She explained that they could get any baker/cake decorator off the street but that it was much more beneficial to pour into an eager employee that needs a little growing and has great passion. It appears that for the time being I get to be that eager employee that they pour into. Rest assured I will soak up everything I can. Techniques get to be sharpened. Skills honed. Passion nurtured.

I am currently eating, sleeping, and breathing in a confectionary world...and I love it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm such a fan of your writing Erin. Here I am again reading through your blogs and losing track of time, neglecting customers :)
    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete