Wednesday, December 23, 2009

It's Gonna Be A Christmas To Remember...

Truer words have never been sung.  It's already Christmas Eve for me (yeah, I get to experience everything before you guys by about 18 hours) and this morning I was listening to some music while eating breakfast.   It happened to be 8:15 am and I heard Amy Grant's voice streaming through with those lyrics.  I'll be honest - it brought tears.  Then tears again at 8:45.  I knew they would come.  I almost welcome them - it means I'm alive, I'm feeling.  And I always learn something through them.  I say this not make you feel sorry for me or to get you to think I'm having a miserable Christmas - because that wouldn't be true.  It's a great Christmas, just very different.  For the first time, I'm away from family, in a country that celebrates this holiday in summer.  I've learned a bit though the experience - being by myself significantly opens me up to self-reflection time.  It has made me increasingly more grateful for my family - and all the great memories I have of Christmases past.

I've also reflected on the first Christmas - Jesus' birth.  I had new respect for Mary this morning - as I face the day with no family around, it's hard to not feel a little bit lonely.  Even if you're around people, it's just not the same as family.  But Mary - man, she had it rough.  Later on in my music listening time, I heard "Breath of Heaven/Mary's song."  Her words "I am waiting in a silent prayer/ I am frightened by the load I bear/ In a world as cold as stone/ Must I walk this path alone?"  I might feel alone, but it's nothing compared to what Mary was feeling.

I also have new respect for missionaries.  A lot of the ones I know are in summer season this time of year as well.  And of course they're away from their families.  I've thought about it before, but it's something different to experience it.  Gives me more to think about in upcoming Christmases - prayer for missionaries, being more aware of those who don't have family or a "home" to go to.  It's means heaps to me that families - people I'd never met until last month - are opening their homes up to me during this season.  So, all that to say it will certainly be a Christmas to remember...a good Christmas to remember.

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, Erin. It was such a treat to read your post this morning. I love hearing your thoughts as you go through this time of your life. Marry has been on my mind as well lately. I see the Lord working in your life, building you up, and at the same time, building me up as well, through you! Who would have thought. I am praying for you, and hope to see you again sometime. Daniela.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas, Erin.
    We will be thankful for our blessing and pray for those who have burdens, that their burdens become lighter.
    Always,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete